- National Rural Livelihoods Mission is being run in the State of J&K as Jammu & Kashmir State Rural Livelihoods Mission (Umeed). J&K SRLM mandate is:
- To reach out to 66% of rural population across the erstwhile 125 blocks,
- Link them to sustainable livelihoods opportunities and nurture them till they come out of poverty and enjoy a decent quality of life.
The core values which will guide all the activities under NRLM are as :
- Inclusion of the poorest, and meaningful role to the poorest in all the processes
- Transparency and accountability of all processes and institutions
- Ownership and key role of the poor and their institutions in all stages – planning, implementation, and monitoring
- Community self-reliance and self-dependence.
Guiding Principles of Umeed
- Poor Have a Strong desire to come out of poverty they have innate Capabilities.
- An external dedicated and sensitive support structure is required to induce social Mobilization institution Building empowerment Process
- Facilitating knowledge dissemination, skill building, access to Credit, access to marketing.
- Access to other livelihood services enabling them to enjoy a sustainable portfolio of livelihoods